The Winter Concert

Madison Luna

The Jazz Band brought the holiday spirit to the Winter Concert.

Madison Luna, Reporter

The Hampton Bays High School Winter Concert was held on December 14, 2022. It was full of performances from the Jazz Band, Select Chorus, Symphonic Band, and Chorus. This is the first time in three years that the winter concert is being held inside the school’s auditorium; in 2021 the concert was held outside right in front of the school’s sign due to COVID restrictions. 

The concert started off with performances by the Jazz Band. In order to be a part of the Jazz Band a student must audition. They began the concert off with the song “On Broadway” by Barry Mann, Cynthia Weil, Mike Stoller, and Jerry Leiber. The crowd got into the performance, and were clapping and smiling along. This is typically what occurs when the Jazz Band performs, they really know how to get the crowd engaged with their performance. 

The next performance was given by the Select Chorus who performed “It’s All Right” by Curtis Mayfield. Just like in Jazz Band a student must audition in order to be in the Select Choir. They also performed songs such as “Dancin’ Fool” by Barry Manilow and “Found/Tonight” By Lin Manuel-Miranda, Justin Paul, and Benji Pasek. Their performance moved the audience and the songs chosen were appropriate for the holiday theme of the concert.  

The Symphonic Band first performed “Celtic Bell Carol” by Robert W. Carol, which gave a nice holiday feel that’s perfect for this time of year. Kübranur Karali, a student in the Band, said that her favorite song to perform was “Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!” by Sammy Cahn and Jule Styne. She also mentioned that she wished there had been more time to work on the song “Dance Perpetuo” by Jason K. Nitsch. Mrs. Halsey says “In the end, I think the students pulled through… I was happy with the outcome of their performances.” 

Toward the end of the concert, the Chorus performed “This Christmas” by Donny Hathaway and Nadine McKinnor. Ms. Moulton, who is the leave replacement for the regular chorus teacher, Mrs. Padilla, said that although she did not choose the songs, her favorite song was “Sing Gently.” Ms. Moulton said if she could have chosen a song for the students to perform it would be “Earth Song” by Frank Ticheli.

Despite Mrs. Padilla being unable to prepare the students herself for the concert, she said, “It was done wonderfully and I think Ms. Moulton did a great job.” For upcoming plans, Mrs. Padilla says that she has already started looking at new music for the Spring Concert, as well as the music for when they visit Disney World.