Introducing Mr. Santorelli, Science Teacher

Jeremy Carcamo, Reporter

As a child, the new science teacher Mr. Santorelli  was always curious about how the world worked.  “As I got older I realized science was the answer to many of the questions that I had been asking for years,” he said.  He enjoys being a science teacher because he wants to do the same for the students he has in his science classes. 

“I most enjoy the connections I make with students and watching them grow academically and personally,” he said. 

He hopes to be a part of the Hampton Bays community for years to come, and in the process of that he hopes to grow to be a master teacher. Mr. Santerolli said, “I am currently pursuing a bilingual education certification extension and hope to gain certifications in other areas of science besides living environment. like chemistry and earth science.” 

During his high school years at Smithtown West, he had no idea what he wanted to do and so he branched out into studying biology in college because he had liked science for a long time. Mr. Santorelli did his undergraduate studies at the University of Delaware and achieved his master’s degree at SUNY Stony Brook.   He didn’t even think about being a teacher until he got to teach in a recreational fashion by being a soccer coach and a waterski instructor. 

Everyone who works has a life outside of teaching and Mr. Santorelli appears to live his life to the fullest. “Outside of work, I enjoy continuously learning and trying new things.” He is learning how to play the guitar, take care of Bonsai, and trying out aquarium building. Some of his longtime hobbies have been playing soccer. He played as a centre back for his school team and the club he used to play for, and he also enjoys boating.  He is looking forward to being a part of the sports aspect of the HB community and being a part of the great clubs here in HBHS.